Unfortunately Hyper-V Manager doesn’t provide an automatic, scheduled creation of snapshots aka checkpoints.
However, it’s a great thing to add to your VMs and it can be done with just one command and the Windows Task Scheduler:
You could either use a fixed name for the snapshot / checkpoint or generate one automatically.
The PowerShell script syntax is: Checkpoint-VM -Name Test -SnapshotName mySnapshotName
OR, if you want the date in the snapshot name: Checkpoint-VM -Name Test -SnapshotName "Daily Snapshot $((Get-Date).toshortdatestring())"
Simply store that command in a .ps1 and schedule it in the Task Manager:
- Press the Windows logo key + R, type taskschd.msc and press Enter.
- On the Actions panel, click Create Basic Task
- Go through the steps
- When prompted, select “Start a program” as the task’s action, and click Next.
- In the textbox labeled “Program/script”, enter powershell.exe
- In the textbox labeled “Add Arguments”, enter the full path to the script in between quotation marks.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
For more ideas on how to run the PowerShell script visit: https://www.udemy.com/blog/run-powershell-script/