This article describes how to install Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and older versions on VMware Workstation.
The following has been tested on VMware Workstation 8 and should work on all later versions, too.
Create a VM but don’t start it. Choose ‘I will install the operating system later’ when creating the new VM.
Close the tab and edit the VM’s VMX file in notepad. Add the following lines:
hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE" vhv.enable = "TRUE" mce.enable = "TRUE"
Now proceed and install the operating system. You need to add the above lines before the operating system is installed.
Hope this helps!
Backup Software OverviewServer Backup Software
Backup VMware Workstation
Backup File Server
Hyper-V BackupBackup Hyper-V
- Hyper-V Links, Guides, Tutorials & Comparisons
- Veeam Alternative
- How to Back up Cluster Shared Volumes
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Site to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- Free Hyper-V Server
- Remote Desktop Services Blog
- SCDPM Blog
- SCOM Blog
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2018
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- Hyper-V Scripts in PowerShell
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Deutsch)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
Backup Software List
Symantec Backup Exec
Windows Server Backup
Other Backup How-To Guides
- Hyper-V Stop 0x0000000A BSOD Error Causes and Fixes KB2776366
- Helpful Hyper-V Links
- Current Windows Server 2012 Updates and Hotfixes
- 13 Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volume Tips & Tricks
- Windows Server 2022 ISO Final Release Free Download
- What is Hyper-V and What Operating Systems are Supported?
- Free Disk2VHD Hyper-V VHDX Physical to Virtual Conversion P2V
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 Backup Software
- Microsoft Hyper-V Backup for VHD and VHDX VMs
- Destination Path Too Long Fixed: Freeware Tool Deletes Long Path
- Hyper-V Backup for Cluster Shared Volumes
- How to fix: could not create backup checkpoint for virtual machine
- Windows 10 Hyper-V Backup, Step-by-Step
- How to fix: VSS snapshot creation failed with result: 80070002 on TrueCrypt Volumes
- Hyper-V CSV backup: What needs to be considered for VM backups?
- List of Effective Hyper-V Backup Strategies
- Incremental Backup vs. Differential Backup
- How to Fix VolSnap 28 Error “The shadow copy could not be created…
- Download Links for Windows 10 & Windows Server Technical Preview
- Freeware Backup Software–Watch Out!