Unfortunately Hyper-V Manager doesn’t provide an automatic, scheduled creation of snapshots aka checkpoints.
However, it’s a great thing to add to your VMs and it can be done with just one command and the Windows Task Scheduler:
You could either use a fixed name for the snapshot / checkpoint or generate one automatically.
The PowerShell script syntax is: Checkpoint-VM -Name Test -SnapshotName mySnapshotName
OR, if you want the date in the snapshot name: Checkpoint-VM -Name Test -SnapshotName "Daily Snapshot $((Get-Date).toshortdatestring())"
Simply store that command in a .ps1 and schedule it in the Task Manager:
- Press the Windows logo key + R, type taskschd.msc and press Enter.
- On the Actions panel, click Create Basic Task
- Go through the steps
- When prompted, select “Start a program” as the task’s action, and click Next.
- In the textbox labeled “Program/script”, enter powershell.exe
- In the textbox labeled “Add Arguments”, enter the full path to the script in between quotation marks.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
For more ideas on how to run the PowerShell script visit: https://www.udemy.com/blog/run-powershell-script/
Backing up Hyper-V
BackupChain OverviewDownload BackupChain
How to Backup Hyper-V VMs
How to Backup to the Cloud
How to Backup VMware Workstation
How to Backup over FTP
How to Backup VirtualBox VMs
How to Backup Large Files and Folders
- Step-by-Step Windows 10 Hyper-V Backups
- 11 Things to Know About Hyper-V Snapshots / Checkpoints
- Hyper-V Links, Guides, Tutorials & Comparisons
- How to Back up Hyper-V
- Veeam Alternatives for Hyper-V
- How to Back up Cluster Shared Volumes
- DriveMaker: Map FTP Site as a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- Free Hyper-V Server
- Remote Desktop Services Blog
- SCDPM Blog
- SCOM Blog
- SCVMM Blog
- Virtualization Blog DE
- KB Cloud Articles
- Microsoft Hyper-V Forum
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2018
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- Hyper-V Scripts in PowerShell
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Deutsch)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
Backup Software Solution List
Symantec Backup Exec
Windows Server Backup