How to Fix VolSnap 28 Error “The shadow copy could not be created…
This error may occur on physical hosts or on VM hosts. In the case of a VM host, the host logs a misleading entry “0x800423f3”.
Host live backups of virtual machines may fail with a transient Hyper-V VSS Writer error, which typically logs this kind of message in the Event Viewer:
A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f3, The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur. . Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer. Operation: PrepareForSnapshot Event
However, the fault originates in the VM itself as the host requests the VM to prepare for live backup. Our freeware tool VssDiag (available at //backupchain.com) found a a VolSnap Error 28, which looked like this:
The shadow copy of C: could not be created due to a failure in creating the necessary on disk structures.
This VolSnap Error, by the way, may also occur as-is on hosts without VMs.
The Real Reason for VolSnap Error 28
The reason why VolSnap 28 was reported is actually the VM’s disk size.
The above VM has a disk with 10TB attached to it and had only 512MB RAM assigned. Increasing the RAM to 4GB, increasing VSS areas, and increasing the system paging file to 40GB resolved the problem.
Unlike what Microsoft wrote about this issue, the problem is due a RAM shortage. You need to increase the RAM inside the VM (or on the host if the VolSnap 28 error occurred on a physical machine).
In addition to that, we increased the VSS diff area using
vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=E: /on=E: /MaxSize=Unbounded
for each drive.
Because we like to do a neat job and prevent further outages we also increased the VM’s paging file size to 40 GB.
After all these system changes the backup now works perfectly.
Backup Software OverviewServer Backup Software
Backup VMware Workstation
Backup File Server
Hyper-V BackupBackup Hyper-V
- Hyper-V Links, Guides, Tutorials & Comparisons
- Veeam Alternative
- How to Back up Cluster Shared Volumes
- DriveMaker: Map FTP, SFTP, S3 Site to a Drive Letter (Freeware)
- Free Hyper-V Server
- Remote Desktop Services Blog
- SCDPM Blog
- SCOM Blog
- V4 Articles
- Knowledge Base
- Archive 2022
- Archive 2021
- Archive 2020
- Archive 2018
- Archive 2017
- Archive 2016
- Archive 2015
- Archive 2014
- Archive 2013
- Hyper-V Scripts in PowerShell
- BackupChain (Greek)
- BackupChain (Deutsch)
- BackupChain (Spanish)
- BackupChain (French)
- BackupChain (Dutch)
- BackupChain (Italian)
Backup Software List
Symantec Backup Exec
Windows Server Backup
Other Backup How-To Guides
- How to Resize, Shrink, or Expand VHDX in Hyper-V
- Before You Use Carbonite, Mozy, CrashPlan, Rackspace, Softlayer
- 0x8004230f VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR VSS snapshot creation failed
- Freeware Backup Software–Watch Out!
- KB 2885465: CPU resources are not allocated correctly for VMs on Windows Server 2012
- How to Easily Move VHD / VHDX to New Server, Disk, NAS, Cloud
- Fix for Error 0x80780049, Backup ID 517
- Hyper-V Integration Services Update: Why You Need to Keep Them Up-to-Date at all Times
- Hyper-V Backup Quick Start Guide
- Download Linux Integration Services 3.5 for Hyper-V
- Guidelines for Installing Microsoft Exchange 2013 in Hyper-V
- Hyper-V, VMware, VirtualBox Feature Comparison
- Download Links for Windows 10 & Windows Server Technical Preview
- Destination Path Too Long Fixed: Freeware Tool Deletes Long Path
- Fix for Hyper-V Backup Error 0x80780049 (ID 517)
- Move Hyper-V VM from Windows 8 to Server 2012 and Vice Versa
- Cloud Backup Hyper-V Virtual Machines over the Internet
- How to Create and Delete Hyper-V Checkpoints / Snapshots
- Hyper-V Backup Links, Guides, Tutorials & Comparisons
- Windows 11 Final Release Free ISO Download Links